When: 28-29 August 2018
Where: PARKROYAL on Pickering, Singapore
What is it?
Launched in 2009, the ContentAsia Summit focuses on all the issues impacting Asia’s content industry. Its core mission: to create a dedicated space to talk face-to-face about the content ecosystem and the innovation and strategies driving media and entertainment companies in an increasingly connected universe.
Talking Points at the 2018 edition:
- Production reimagined: the next generation of creative, development, funding and production relationships
- Formats: ContentAsia’s deep dive into trends, influences,
- Power shifts: Telcos role in evolving content
- Gen N – The Newcomers: Life after linear
- Beyond video: The rising clout of location-based entertainment
- Talent: Diversity redefined in talent development & management
- The bright side: Blockchain – The tech that’s promising to solve the choke points in programming rights distribution
Why are we there?
Misinformation and propaganda is a fierce global issue but the actual and all too often literally physical impact of spreading lies and false news via Social Networks and messengers is rarely more visible than in Asia. From Malaysia to India, from Cambodia to Sri Lanka and the Philippines reports about vicious attacks and unrest rooted in manipulated information have dramatically increased in recent years. The “Rohinga crisis” in Myanmar was even labeled “The first Social Media Genocide” and an UN investigation concluded “Facebook has now turned into a beast”.
But what are the mechanics and who are the actors behind all these “Fake News Operations” and what can newsrooms do to strengthen the ever more important tasks of content verification? In his talk “Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire”, Wilfried Runde, Head of DW Research and Cooperation Projects, will take the summit on a tour de force around the global state of misinformation and propaganda, how it threatens to drive societies towards extremes and jeopardises the very concept of journalism. Emphasising the need for technology-supported verification to counter these developments he will also present the vision behind and capabilities of the collaborative verification platform Truly Media, which was jointly developed by Deutsche Welle and ATC.